Subject: Re: Crash
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/1997 17:19:15
"Tom T. Thai" writes:
> I'll wait 'til the next snap coming (right perry?) and will upgrade.
> What is the best procedure to do this with minimum down time?

> am I missing anything here?

1) BACK UP THE MACHINE!

> get snap bin and src
> and some coffee and cigarettes
> wait 'til it's 3AM

2) Boot the machine from inst floppy!
3) Mount your file systems

> tar --unlink the ball
> recompile kernel
> reboot and pray

Also, I recommend trying to boot first with a GENERIC kernel before
unpacking the binaries, just to make sure things will work.

Also, you have to 1) NOT unpack the etc tarball, and 2) hand update
your /etc.

> If I tar --unlink the ball, how would the old
> (running) kernel have problems with the new bins?

`maybe'. As I said, its far safer to bring the machine up on an
install floppy and unpack while running that kernel.

Perry