Subject: New PC, sound cards?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1997 23:55:39
Sorry everyone, but here is another "I'm updating by intel hardware"
plea.

I've been reading various references (thanks Luke), and
so far I'm content with:

	ASUS P/I-P55T2P4* mother board
		I figure the P55T2P4* HX based boards are a safe bet,
		though there are too many to choose from!
		I'll probably get the one with on-board scsi.
		Though I would like to hear from anyone who is
		happily running BSD on one of the newer
		TX or even VX based boards esp ATX format.
	Pentium 166
	64M ram (ECC if I can get it)

That leaves a lot out...

Questions:

Since I'd like this thing to do X at 1152x900 or better, I figure
something like a Matrox Millenium with 4M would be safe?

I like being able to talk over the m-bone at work (Sun workstations),
and figure a full-duplex sound card would be cool.  Do such things
exist?  Anyone getting good results with vat or rat?

Ethernet: I have a spare old WD8003 card... but a new one might be a
good idea - is PCI necessary?  This box will be an NFS server among
other things, but few clients (typically one).

Input appreciated.

--sjg