Subject: Re: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1997 15:35:58
On Thu, 05 Jun 1997 15:27:07 -0700
 "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

 > b) Given a, there are still files in /etc which could stand improvement,
 >    one of them being rc.conf's list of directories to pass to ldconfig.
 >    I'm seeing more and more third parties wanting to dink with this,
 >    and I don't need to tell you that machine-editing of rc.conf is a
 >    royal PITA.
 >
 > c) If you find yourselves in agreement with b), perhaps NetBSD would care to
 >    adopt a similar scheme so as to minimize divergence?  Do you have any
 >    better ideas for handling this?  I'm all ears..  Erm, that is eyes,
 >    I guess.

We already have a way of listing the directories for ldconfig:

(from /etc/rc)

if [ -f /sbin/ldconfig ]; then
        echo 'creating runtime link editor directory cache.'
        if [ -f /etc/ld.so.conf ]; then
                ldconfig `cat /etc/ld.so.conf`
        else
                ldconfig
        fi
fi

Also, note that Elf systems do not (and should not) use ldconfig.  They
have their own mechanism.