Subject: Re: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1997 15:27:07
> Actually, the way Linux does ld.so configuration is pretty obnoxious.
> It took me quite a while to figure it out.   I would suggest that if
> you find something you like about it, you take it, but don't try to
> duplicate its functionality in its entirety.

Well, just to be totally clear here:

a) I dislike adding anything to /etc, especially things in the way of
   configuration files since for every file we to add, our tech
   support load seems to increase by log(n). :)

b) Given a, there are still files in /etc which could stand improvement,
   one of them being rc.conf's list of directories to pass to ldconfig.
   I'm seeing more and more third parties wanting to dink with this,
   and I don't need to tell you that machine-editing of rc.conf is a
   royal PITA.

c) If you find yourselves in agreement with b), perhaps NetBSD would care to
   adopt a similar scheme so as to minimize divergence?  Do you have any
   better ideas for handling this?  I'm all ears..  Erm, that is eyes,
   I guess.

					Jordan