Subject: Re: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1997 14:16:47
> This is the advantage of using an rc.d directory over using a single
> rc file.   Sigh.   I hate rc.d directories.

Me too, and I'm still avoiding the idea with all my might in FreeBSD.

Well, I'm lying a little - we do have provisions for adding a list of
rc.d/ directories to the startup procedure, but it's not the default
and the only place it's really used right now is /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
(where the packages put their startup procedures).  I've still managed
to avoid the evils of /etc/rc.d/ and am currently reviewing some ideas
for making our new /etc/rc.conf a little more machine-editable
instead.  Paul Traina has some ideas which we haven't implemented yet,
but that's not far off.

Another file just begging to be split out is the list of directories
for ldconfig.  Xi Graphics has asked us if we'd be so kind as to
implement Linux's /etc/rc.ld.so file (which contains a list of dirs to
look for libraries in, one per line) and so far I can't say that it's
a bad idea.  I generally hate following anything that Linux has done,
but this one seems sort of reasonable. :-)

					Jordan