Subject: Re: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1997 20:16:59
On Wed, Jun 04, 1997 at 05:47:30PM +0100, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> > A 1.3 cut should happen "soon".
>
> Gak. How are we supposed to keep up?
>
> Are there instructions anywhere on how to upgrade NetBSD?
> At a first glance it looks like it's something you need to
> set aside about a full working week for, per machine.

Usually, when I upgrade machines, I first upload all the files (.tar.gz)
on the system, drop a new kernel in / system and reboot the machine.  Then
I simply tar --unlink -z -x -p -v -f *.tar.gz and reboot again.  I don't
have /etc or /var in these tarballs to keep the config files untouched.

Of course, when upgrading to 1.3, one has to upgrade /etc as well, due to
the changes in the config files and scripts.  Still, I don't think it takes
that long if you know what you're doing.  Give me the 1.3 and I'll see :-)

(Most of the time, I do the upgrades remotely over network.  This week I
pulled one machine to 1.2 (finally :) over PPP - had to install a new
pppd with the kernel.. but everything went well and nobody had to log in
from console.)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri