Subject: Re: acroread trying to write to /emul/linux? :-o
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1997 23:51:19
> >  > I can only run Acroread (linux version) as root because it wants to write
> >  > temporary files to /emul/linux.  What did I do wrong?
> >
> > Eek!  The SunOS version certainly doesn't try to write to /emul/sunos...
> > No idea what could be going on there...
>
> I'll go on playing with this tomorrow, but the problem is definately
> font related.  Acroread is trying to extract fonts from the PDF
> document, and for some reason it wants to put the extracted font files
> in /emul/linux.  I'm quite sure this problem will only show up with
> some PDF files, not all.  The one I'm trying to view can be fetched
> from http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/smartfet.htm by
> clicking the IR6210 link.

I had same problem. Acroread seems to try to write temporary file to
root directory, and shows the following message.
	[i] Unable to extract the embedded font 'FONTNAME...'.
	Some characters may not display or print correctly.

I found that this problem went away by setting environment variable
as follows.
	TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR

I hope this helps, but don't ask me why :-)
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group