Subject: Re: READ ME: com driver in -current
To: Charles M.Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1997 04:55:02
From: "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@mit.edu>
:A few people have noted that the com driver in -current seems to lose
:badly with PPP.  This was due to a bug (which I have just fixed) that
:would cause it to retransmit some bytes when the other side deasserted
:CTS.  This would typically happen with a modem, where the DTE speed is
:higher than the actual transmission speed, and flow control has to be
:used.  It would typically not happen with two machines
:cross-connected.
:
:If you've been experiencing a problem which might be attributable to
:this, please try the latest version of the driver (revision 1.100),
:and let me know whether or not it helps.  I've included the (rather
:simple) patch below.

Yes, I love it.  I'd been getting 5% average, but up to 10%, input errors
according to `netstat -i' from NetBSD machine to NetBSD machine over ppp.
The worst offender was when uploading from my home computer to work.  So I
recompiled my home computer and uploaded a couple of MB happily away with
multiple streams over the modem/ppp link with 0 errors, whereas before I
would have had hundreds of errors.  Excellent.  Have to recompile my work
machine next.  I'm very happy now :-)

Oh, BTW, my com.c also has the patch you posted on 30 April, but I
suspect from what you've said above that it wouldn't have mattered.
--
Geoff Wing [mason@primenet.com.au]   Technical Manager
  Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977         PrimeNet - Internet Consultancy