Subject: Re: Son of diskless boot
To: None <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/1997 06:04:37
>From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
>
>Same reason: networks cards mave no major/minor number.
>The traditional layout of arguments passed to the kernel by
>the bootblocks has no room for such devices (on i386).
>If you don't want to change this, you have to wire enough
>information into the kernel.
>The new bootblocks contain code to pass device names.
>To make use of it, you need to change the startup a bit.
>(You can contact me for patches.)

Yes, I did see that netboot.com passes in a struct in one of the
arguments, which contains "ep@isa,0x200" (e.g. device type, bus, and
iobase for the adapter) and I couldn't find anything in the kernel
that tried to use this information.  I assume this is the information
your startup patches uses to determine the correct device name, based
on the devices probed at boot time.

I would like to see your patches, please.

cheers,
entropy