Subject: Re: funny message from NetBSD
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1997 09:08:42
> eisa0 at mainbus0
> device BUS4281 at eisa0 slot 1 not configured
>
> is that second line because the BusLogic card is kernel compiled to use isa0
> even though it is an EISA device?  would this message go away if i configured
> the BusLogic card to use eisa0??  it doesn't seem to affect anything, it just
> seems to be annoying.  thanks.

 Why does this annoy you? This is the autoconfig (tm) principe of Eisa.
It does tell you that you have a device in an Eisa-Slot but it cannot
configure it, because it was unable to connect it to a device driver.
(This has nothing to do with the fact, that you are using an ISA device
in the Eisa-Slot).

 The Amiga-port does this all the time, it would annoy me if I wouldn't be
informed about all my devices. Remember, this is boot-time only, the message
does only appear when booting. How often do you boot?

> also, i get the error:
>
> pc: timeout updating leds
>
> and the shiftlock led won't change.  is this a problem? would this go away
> if i used the "virtual console" (linux-style console) instead of the pc
> console?

 The interface to the keyboard is almost completely different to the
generic interface when using pcvt. I would give it a try.

--
Markus Illenseer