Subject: Re: getting closer, but not quite there yet
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1997 21:48:36
Brian Buhrow drunkenly mumbled...

> 	Your problem is that originally, your card was recognized, but on the
> wrong interrupt.  Now, your card isn't being probed at all.  Can you set
> the card back to its original I/O address and cjust change the interrupt to
> something NetBSD will be able to use?  (If you're using one of the generic
> kernels, look at the config files that were used to make them, they can be
> ftp'd from ftp.netbsd.org, and grep for '^device')
> If you find that you can't set the interrupt of the card to match the
> adress you had it set to initially, then you need a new kernel.  If you're
> running 1.2, I can build a kernel for you and send it to you.
> Send me private mail.
>
> Hope that helps.

ok, i'm using the GENERICOTHER kernel, i've tried setting the SMC card to both
ed0 and ed2, neither of which work, now the EZstart utility (i'll complain
about that later) says i have a conflict.  with ed0 it's IRQ 2 and with ed2
it's IO port 0x300.  my guess is that i'm going to have to pick a "non-standard"
IRQ and/or IO port for this card to work, maybe i should just wait until i
pick up the 3Com Etherlink III EISA card (a 3c509 if i'm not mistaken) and
get that thing setup instead of messing with this SMC card which isn't going
to be running in this machine anyway.  i just wanted to start playing while
i could.

any clues as to what might be going on here??  here is a rundown of what i
have.

486 EISA motherboard w/256k cache
Intel 486dx33 CPU
8M of RAM (for now)
BusLogic BT74x EISA SCSI host (i think, it's a Storage Dimensions SDC32222B)
SMC Elite16 Ultra 16-bit ISA 10base-T card
VGA card.

here is dmesg from NetBSD on that machine. (thank god for floppies and tar)

NetBSD 1.2 (GENERICOTHER) #0: Sun Sep 15 17:30:46 PDT 1996
    perry@jekyll.piermont.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERICOTHER
CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU)
real mem  = 7995392
avail mem = 5013504
using 123 buffers containing 503808 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
isa0 at mainbus0
bt0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11: model BT-742AH, firmware 3.31
bt0: async, no parity
scsibus0 at bt0
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP240S GM240S01X, 6.4> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 234MB, 1818 cyl, 4 head, 65 sec, 512 bytes/sec
sea0: board type unknown at address 0xf8343000
mcd0: timeout in getresult
mcd0: timeout in getresult
mcd0: timeout in getresult
ed0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff irq 9
ed0: address 00:00:c0:b0:c2:df, type SMC8216T (16-bit) aui
ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 15
ie1: unknown AT&T board type code 15
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: color
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
eisa0 at mainbus0
device BUS4281 at eisa0 slot 1 not configured
### is this a problem???
biomask 840 netmask a40 ttymask a42
stray interrupt 7
changing root device to sd0a
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout

i'm going to consider takeing this man up on his offer for a kernel, i'll see
what i can come up with.

thanks for any input on this issue.

-brian

--
"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
 Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil