Subject: Re: Diskless boot weirdness
To: None <David.Sainty@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1997 01:11:44
>From: Dave Sainty <David.Sainty@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
>Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:42:43 +1200
>
>> Everything seems to work, but there's one annoying feature...after the
>> kernel has done its thing, it pauses and says:
>>
>> Insert file system floppy
>
>Add -DONEDISK to CFLAGS in sys/arch/i386/boot/Makefile and recompile
>the boot blocks (clean first).
>
>Install a new boot block on the floppy and it will no longer pause.

Thanks...this did the trick.

I was not able to install the newer boot blocks from
/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot.  Here's what I did...

cd /sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot
make clean && make depend && make
cp biosboot.sym biosboot
strip biosboot
cp biosboot /usr/mdec
cd /usr/mdec
dd if=biosboot of=fdboot bs=512 count=1
dd if=biosboot of=bootfd bs=512 skip=1
disklabel -w -B /dev/rfd0a floppy

...and disklabel complained that the boot blocks would not leave room
for the disk label.

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  29148 May 19 23:44 biosboot

This leads me up to another problem I ran into a while back but
ignored because I assumed I had done something wrong...  I'm playing
with the idea of generating a boot prom for one of my 3c509's so that
I can do a full diskless boot without a kernel floppy.  When I tried
to build the boot prom (/sys/arch/i386/stand/netboot), genprom
complained that the boot image was too large (it was somewhere in the
neighborhood of 33k, and the rom size is 32k.)  Did something grow
very large in one of the stand libraries that suddenly broke all this
stuff?

cheers,
entropy