Subject: Webpage for woftware working under emulation
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1997 22:06:17
---> Can followups to this please be directed to current-users@netbsd.org
     _only_ as (probably) the most appropriate list. Thanks.

> On Mon, May 19, 1997 at 07:57:59PM -0700, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	Is anyone interested in a webpage of 'emulation success storys'?
> > 	Quite possibly with optional links to the people who might be
> > 	able to provide hints for a given package?
>
> I was (and am) going to do something like that.. anyone willing to sell
> me some time?
>
> What would be a good format?  Something like:
>

> Class:		Office program suite (word proc, spreadsheets etc.)
> Product:		Applixware/linux (http://www.redhat.com/)
> Platform:		i386
> NetBSD versions:	1.2 (needs a patch), 1.2.1, -current
> Requirements:		For real use: 32+ MB RAM, requires 100+ MB of disk,
> 			a pentium system recommended
> Functionality:	100% (everything seems to work ok)
> Notes:		Gets slower when used for long time (reason unknown)
> Reported by:		jmarin@jmp.fi
> Other info:		Needs quite a few linux shared libraries (they all
> 			come with Applixware)

	I would probably go with:

Product:	Netscape navigator
Class:		Web browser
URL:		http://home.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/client_download.htm
Platform:	sparc
NetBSD versions: 1.2
Emulation:	sunos
Reported by:	abs@mono.org
Extra setup:	(list of ld.so and .so files and any editing needed)
Hardware needed: sparc2 with 24mb to be bearable
Problems:	Leaks memory (like any netscape)

> Is there some cgi program which could be used to add information to the
> database or should we just maintain it manually?

	I can probably come up with something workable if not wonderful
	this weekend - a cgi script to add an entry and another two to
	list the details - one in a one line per entry table (*), and the
	other for an expanded view of an entry.

	I'd be more than happy to host it at mono.org... though if
	people think its better somewhere else thats cool...

		David/abs