Subject: RE: new kind of crash under 1.2 1/2 :)
To: 'Jason Thorpe' <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Graham, James <James.Graham@Schwab.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1997 08:41:16
No, a "privileged instruction fault" is something you'll find on any
CPU that has more than one access mode (a "user" mode and a
"kernel" mode, a la VAX).  The x86 has two such spaces of which
I am aware when running in protected mode: user mode and
supervisor mode; the message that Jukka Marin sees is almost
redundant considering that the kernel is ONLY going to get
a "fatal privileged instruction fault" in supervisor mode;
if it happens in user mode, the CPU will probably trap on
it and return another error code of some sort; PrivInsFaults
don't typically crash the processor in user mode.

IIRC, "Illegal instruction" is generated when you tell
the processor to execute something it doesn't recognize, though
it might be what UN*X(-alikes) print when you try to
execute a privileged instruction in user mode as well.