Subject: Re: Speed of linux emul?
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/1997 12:21:55
On Sat, May 17, 1997 at 05:55:13PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>> [Applixware being slow under linux emulation]
> The chance that the Linux emulation is causing much of a slowdown is
> very small. The emulation is just a wrapper around the system calls
> once it's running. The layer is pretty thin.

Well yes, I have looked at the linux emulation code and it doesn't do
all that much.  How about some differences in memory allocation system
or sockets or something like that?  Could it be that the linux software
is calling the NetBSD routines in a way (or with arguments) which make
the NetBSD code slower than normal?

There has to be _some_ reason why Applix is so slow. :-I  Isn't anyone
else running it on NetBSD?

I grabbed the -current source last night.. I hope I can get it installed
on a 486 to see how it performs.  Too bad there's no such thing as a
vacation for me...

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri