Subject: Re: new kind of crash under 1.2 1/2 :)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1997 09:55:30
On Sat, 17 May 1997 18:37:21 +0300
 Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> wrote:

 > This seems to be repeatable.  Whenever my wife is playing with Netscape,
 > my machine crashes with the same eip and cs values:
 >
 > fatal privileged instruction fault in supervisor mode
 > trap type 0 code 0 eip f81b0cc0 cs f81b0008 eflags 10246 cr2 1b3348 cpl e000d060
 > panic: trap
 >
 > The only running processes were des and netscape.
 >
 > I understand that people aren't too interested in what's going on on a 1.2
 > system, but I'd still like to know how to fix this problem.  I would upgrade
 > to -current if I knew it worked well - but I see so many problem reports
 > every day that I just can't do the upgrade yet. :-I

...well, for starters, building a kernel with "makeoptions DEBUG=-g"
would allow you to get some meaningful information with gdb post-mortem.

Privileged instruction fault... is that an illegal instruction in i386-speak?
(Sigh, I find m68k traps so much more straight-forward :-)  It's not likely
that something is scribbling over kernel text; that would cause a page
fault trap.