Subject: Re: new kind of crash under 1.2 1/2 :)
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1997 19:17:50
On Sat, May 17, 1997 at 08:54:09AM -0700, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I wouldn't suggest running -current on a production system (unless
> 	you are willing to take risks :), but I would suggest upgrading to
> 	1.2.1 to pick up the bugfixes. It may not cure your specific
> 	problem, but it would certainly eliminate _some_ problems :)

The problem is that my 1.2 tree isn't 100% standard.  It includes lots
of fixes that eventually went into 1.2.1, but also things that aren't
in 1.2.1.  The worst thing is that I can't recall all the changes I have
made (and I'm running this mutant version on some 10 machines, most of
which are critical).

Anyway, the problem shows up when Netscape is running on this machine
but it's display is on the other machine (ie. network is being used by
X).  This problem never occurred with the 3com509 Ethernet card, so it
has to have something to do with the SMC driver (I now have an SMC
card) or the generic PCI code (but I have other PCI cards which work ok
so I don't think it's that).

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri