Subject: Speed of linux emul?
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1997 12:32:28
I just installed linux acrobat reader on my Cyrix P166+ / NetBSD 1.2 system
and the screen updates feel kind of sluggish.  I have a 4 MB Virge VRAM
gfx card and X is generally pretty fast.  Is anyone running AcroRead and
feeling it's slow?

I'm mainly asking this because the linux Applixware 4.3 get very slow on
my machine after it's been used for a while.  When I start it up, it works
very fast, but after working on it for a while the screen updates become
very slow (it may take 5 to 10 seconds to redraw the Words window, for
example).  Even when Applixware is slow, all other applications (Netscape,
GIMP, xv, xterm etc.) work as fast as ever.  The only way to get Applix
going faster again is to exit it (all parts of it) and restarting it.

Could this be something in the linux emulation?  I don't use many linux
applications (even my Netscape is BSDI) and the two I have now (Applix
and AcroRead) both feel slower than non-linux programs.

As things seem to slow down gradually, could it be something in the way
Applixware allocates its memory?  Does it use linux malloc() in the linux
libc or what?  I first thought this was an X server problem, but the X
authors don't think so.

Someboby, please try to help - working on a word processor which takes
over 5 seconds to update the display after every move is PAINFUL. :-}

Any ways I could try to track down what's going on?

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---