Subject: CFS541A woes...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carl <css@ophelia.n2mgi.clarkson.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1997 00:46:41
I am having some serious trouble trying to disklabel an IDE Conner CFS541A
515MB drive on an IBM i486 based Aptiva.  NetBSD correctly recognizes the
drive at boot time, but whenever I proceed to newfs the drive from the
install program I get the following errors:

wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: hard error reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn0; cn0 tn0 sn0)
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50<drdy,dsc> error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: reading 0@wd0:0
wdc0: hard error reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn0; cn0 tn0 sn0)
wdc0: dos partition I/O error

This drive has 1048 cylinders, so I believe it's an EIDE drive.  I have
attempted installs with "translation" on and off, however it always yields
the above errors.  Also, the disk is labeled as a Seagate, but the wdc driver
(and a Linux boot disk) recognized it as a Conner part.

The "Aptiva" is an i486DX2/66 with an OPTi 82c611a ISA chipset and what
would appear to be a UMC UM82c863f (remember, if it's got to be cheap, it's
got to be UMC) EIDE(?) controller.  I really have no idea what is going on
here, as I try to avoid IDE setups as much as possible.

Carl