Subject: Re: Netscape for BSDI and /etc/hosts
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Absolute(Zero) <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/12/1997 23:01:53
On 11 May 1997, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> Netscape 3.01 for BSDI doesn't read "/etc/hosts" on my system. In this a
> "feature" of "netscape" or do I have to put some special command into
> "resolv.conf" like NetBSD's "lookup" command?

	Its a 'feature' of the fact that netscape is distributed as a
	static linked binary. This means that is uses the resolving
	routines of the compiling system, not the executing system.

	Basically it will treat /etc/resolv.conf exactly as would a binary
	running under BSDI. You might be able to ask for help on a BSDI
	maillist :)

	Be happy - SunOS has such ancient resolver libraries that running
	the SunOS Netscape under NetBSD wont even recognise 'search' lines
	:/

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

    		       - Oakwood apartments -
     - $1300 a month and people steal your laundry - What a place -