Subject: Re: Obscure hardware of the day...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/12/1997 21:23:26

> Today's entry:  A "DTC 3181E" SCSI controller.  ISA.  25-pin female port.
> Soldered over 50-pin internal plug.  One chip - a DTCT-436E.
>
> Browsing, I found "DTC-TECHNOLOGY.COM", who sell several RAID controllers,
> and one model of SCSI controller.
>
> It came free with a scanner - the scanner is sticking to my Mac, so the
> card's basically spare hardware, but I figure I should see if there's
> a driver.  Never hurts to have a spare SCSI interface.

I think I've got you beat -

I recently picked up a couple of SCSI CD-ROM drives.  They are unterminated
(nor unterminable).  When a terminator is applied to the end of the SCSI
chain, and they are probed by a 1542, produce an ID string of
<005><005>...

When properly terminated and used with a 1522, they work adequately.

I have a feeling a simple quirk setting isn't going to work for these
babies.  Anyone SCSI aware enough to be able to tell me what needs to be
done to get the bad boys to work reliably with a 1542?  Is there any way
to convince the 1542 to 'just do the right thing'?

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom