Subject: Re: PCVT Charsets
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/1997 12:31:10
>> It sounds as though your idea of "practical" is "like MS-DOS".  [...]
> No no, not at all, far from it.  [...]  I just would like to see it
> easier to practical things like replacing the character set with
> anything [...].

Given the hardware it has to contend with, I don't think this is
practical; I think it's restricted to the 256 characters in the
canonical character-generator ROM.  I'm sure someone from port-i386
will be glad to correct me if I'm wrong.

Or, of course, you can drop the card into graphics mode and draw
whatever you please.  I'm not sure _that_ would be something I'd advise
putting into the kernel, though - if you want X, you know where to find
it. :-)

> Anyway, if I'm way off here - if PCVT hadles things like character
> sets they "right" way - then tell me and I'll shut up.

I don't know what the heck pcvt does with character sets; my one
attempt to run the i386 port to date has been pretty disastrous (but is
why I'm on the port-i386 list at all - I'd unsubscribe, except that the
traffic is low enough I don't bother).  Your description sounded a lot
like X3.41/X3.64, which I do feel I know relatively well, that's why I
chipped in.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca