Subject: Re: machine crashed, dumped, and is now *hosed*
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/1997 22:39:37
>	Hmm.. you should be able to get back the first netbsd partition by
>	just setting up a large 'a' partition covering the first 600mb
>	and then trying to 'fsck -n' it (if it looks good, do the real
>	fsck).

given that the filesystem structure on this disk was something like

partition_1 ~600m netbsd
			wd0a ??? /
			wd0b ??? sw
			wd0e ??? /usr
			wd0f ??? /tmp
partition_2 ~100m dos
partition_3 ????m linux
partition_4 ----- extended partition
partition_5 ????m linux
partition_6 ????m linux
partition_7 ????m linux
partition_8 ????m linux

i would imagine that i need to do something other than just use
disklabel?  or am i wrong?  thor set this up originally when he was
testing his cd install.

>	After that all I could suggest is guessting the start of the
>	next partition.. hmm, if you can determine the magic number
>	at the start of the a partition you should be able to search
>	/dev/rsdXc until you find another one...

something like that, yes.  i was expecting to just do this from
scratch...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet