Subject: Re: More com driver changes; need testers
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1997 18:16:17

    >> [...]
    >> rate, but didn't solve the problem. We also proved that with
    >> another modem and a null modem connected computer: Same
    >> behaviour. It seems like the reaction on the hardware handshake
    >> fails sometimes as the reason for this problem.
    >>
    >> If it helps: At the beginning of this year there was a patch
    >> from Sommerfeld (formerly available on ftp.netbsd.org
    >> .../arch/i386 and some mirrors; I still have it ;-), but it's
    >> not (easily) applyable to -current sources) which solved the
    >> serial problem completely for us.

    Charles> No; unfortunately, this doesn't help at all.  You haven't
    Charles> told me the type of modems or what the receiver is.  And
    Charles> I'm not able to reproduce any such problem here.

You can have all infos you need: The modems are: (i) a Motorola T28800
and (ii) an ELSA 28800 ELink, both configured with RTS/CTS enabled,
XON/XOFF turned off, of course. Using them on other machines ((Win)DOS
PC's or Mac's) never made any problem in the same config.

In our third experiment we used a 100 MHz Pentium Windos 95 PC null
modem connected and the Windos Terminal for data transfer.

    Charles> The patch you attribute to Bill Sommerfeld is just an
    Charles> earlier version of the work by Onno and I.  If it works,
    Charles> it's only because you got lucky; it has numerous serious
    Charles> bugs.

Yeah, but how to become lucky again ;-)?

Markus.