Subject: Re: bootable CD-ROM images?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1997 15:34:39
> I'm guessing it's the "El Torito" Phoenix/IBM bootable CD-ROM
> format--have any of you run into this, and/or tried creating such
> images, and/or have a tool?  It would be Quite Cool if NetBSD were to be
> packaged on a bootable CD-ROM for i386.

I think bootable ffs image could be placed directly to CD instead of ISO-9660
but I have not tried it yet.

There is paragraph about it in Andy Mc Fadden's CD-R FAQ:

   For  PCs,  it's  a  bit more of a challenge. The BIOS on some ma-
   chines supports bootable CDs. Phoenix (the  BIOS  developer)  has
   created  the El Torito standard for doing this sort of thing. You
   can   find   specifications   and   a   "how   to"    guide    at
   http://www.ptltd.com/techs/specs.html.

   A   step-by-step   procedure   can  be  found  in  HTML  form  at
   http://mail.ncku.edu.tw/~thlx/bootcd.htm  and  in  text  form  at
   ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fa/fadden/bootcd.txt.   The  latter  has
   some other notes as well.

   CDR Publisher can make bootable CDs for PCs and UNIX. See section
   (6-1-9).

There is another document from CDROM Professional Magazine on the internet:
http://www.onlineinc.com/cdrompro/CP1995/AugCP95/starrett.html.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,