Subject: Re: Anyone tried StarOffice for Linux on NetBSD?
To: Thayne Harbaugh <tharbaug%alta.us.oracle.com@us.oracle.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1997 21:54:59

> Dave Burgess wrote:
>
> > It does appear to be a real memory hog.  It takes a coon's age to load,
> > and is slow once it's up and running.
> >
> > But it does run, and fairly well at that.  A few commercial buys from
> > the 'huddled' masses (even a BSDI or FreeBSD version should run better
> > than the Linux one) might be enough to get them to support "the other
> > guys".
>
> The problem isn't that it's written for Linux.  The problem is that they
> use so many Motiff widgets!  That's what makes it a memory Hog and so
> slow!

That certainly can't help.

Another problem (for me, anyway) is that I only 24Meg of memory and a
486DX4100.  With a fast Pentium and a lot more memory, it would probably
load a lot faster.

Also, I was playing with the statically linked version of the program,
which is simply enormous.

It's still kind of a neat program.  I might start using it regularly if
I get a real printer.  There isn't an NX-1000 printer driver yet :-)

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom