Subject: Re: Serial consoles
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ronald@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/25/1997 10:28:23
Matthias Drochner wrote:

> I've never tried to run a PC without a VGA-like graphics
> adapter. (There was always something on-board.)
> Does it work?

I have used PCs where it works and others where it doesn't.
It's not really been an issue up till now, because using the
BIOS setup and hardware setup programs tend to require
keyboard and vga screen so I mandate leaving the VGA card
in the machine regardless of whether it wants it in normal use.

(Most of them are indeed configured to use serial consoles under
 normal circumstances, ie when they're running netbsd)

> -It is desirable that the console selection is passed from
>   boot to the kernel. This information should be dealt with
>   at a central place.

I agree.  It would also be nice to be able to make a
persistent-across-reboot change in the default without having
to swap kernels.  Something like a boot options file perhaps?

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net> Voice: +44 181 371 1000 Fax: +44 181 371 1150