Subject: Re: Promise EIDE 2300 Plus VLB controler
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, tmm@mcci.com>
From: Patrick Arnoux <parnoux@orli.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/1997 01:54:58
> > The downside of the above scheme is the inability to mount the DOS partitions
> > from NetBSD.
>
> This is interesting.  Is this a necessary restriction, or just a limitation
> of the current implementation?  I ask because the IBM on-disk partition table
> has both linear and C/S/H addresses for partitions; and the DOS file system
> only uses linear addresses for on-disk structures.  So I wonder what
> causes this restriction?
>
> --Terry

There is no real restriction. I was thinking in terms of the partitions needing
to start on a cylinder boundary of their own geometry, but if in the NetBSD partition
table (as opposed to the drive partition table) you define the proper offset
for the DOS partition, everything should be just fine.

Patrick