Subject: Re: Promise EIDE 2300 Plus VLB controler
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/1997 00:45:16
Patrick Arnoux wrote:

> NetBSD and DOS don't have to agree on the geometry of the disk.
> You should be able to use "os-bs" and boot either one, or at the most have to change
> the Bios geometry when you switch (Unlikely).
>
> The downside of the above scheme is the inability to mount the DOS partitions
> from NetBSD.

This is interesting.  Is this a necessary restriction, or just a limitation
of the current implementation?  I ask because the IBM on-disk partition table
has both linear and C/S/H addresses for partitions; and the DOS file system
only uses linear addresses for on-disk structures.  So I wonder what
causes this restriction?

--Terry