Subject: Re: Anyone tried StarOffice for Linux on NetBSD?
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/1997 22:19:17

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask, if anybody tried the latest version of
> StarOffice for Linux under NetBSD? The prior releases
> needed Motif libs, but the latest beta-release is
> statically linked with motif, so it should work allright.
> I currently don't have the time to try it out, but I
> thought I might just people know, that it's there and give
> them the opportunity to try it out.

Here is a breif report of my experiences:

1.  The startup scripts that are needed to run the program need to have
a "NetBSD" and "FreeBSD" section added.  They are exactly the same as
the Linux one.  They set up the environment for the program; they must
be run before the Star* suite will run.

2.  I had to copy the libraries to the /emul/lib directory and then
rerun the linux ldconfig.  It worked OK, I just had to do it.  It should
be OK from now on (if I understand how ldconfig works).

3.  The "setup" program fails with a script error.  I didn't bother to
try much after that.  If it had worked, I might have avoided the errors
above.

The presentation is very good.  While the word processor could be
described as having the "look" of Word, it is much fuller in
functionality.  If anything, it is what Word 8 should look like.

Since I don't have a postscript printer (yet!!), I can't tell you what
the final output looks like; if it were possible to add a Star NX-1000 driver,
I could probably use it.

It does appear to be a real memory hog.  It takes a coon's age to load,
and is slow once it's up and running.

But it does run, and fairly well at that.  A few commercial buys from
the 'huddled' masses (even a BSDI or FreeBSD version should run better
than the Linux one) might be enough to get them to support "the other
guys".

--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom