Subject: Re: AHC driver + 1.2.1 + UW drive
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/1997 14:34:32
Justin T. Gibbs writes:
> It wouldn't surprise me if the NetBSD driver didn't handle Ultra as well
> as the FreeBSD driver since it is a fairly old version of my work.  Now
> that things have started to stabilize again in the FreeBSD driver, I plan
> to renew my efforts of porting it back to NetBSD.

Well, I have FreeBSD 3.0-970209-SNAP on a disk which I just plugged into
the system and booted it up. Just as with NetBSD, it wrote the disklabel
just fine, and started up the newfs. But after it got a ways through it,
the system paused (for a shorter time than NetBSD did) then started
putting out messages similar to those I saw on NetBSD.

Are there maybe updates to aic7xxx.c since the 3.0-970209-SNAP?

We're now investigating cable and termination problems (everything was
installed by the book, but maybe the book doesn't know about black
magic). Any other insights would be helpful, though.

Here's the messages printed by FreeBSD 3.0:

    sd0: timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x4
    SEQADDR == 0x5e
    sd0: timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x4
    SEQADDR == 0x5e
    ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
    Clearing bus reset
    Clearing 'in-reset' flag
    sd0: timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
    SEQADDR == 0xd
    sd0: timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
    SEQADDR == 0x10
    ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
    Clearing bus reset
    Clearing 'in-reset' flag
    sd0: timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
    SEQADDR == 0xc
    sd0: timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
    SEQADDR == 0x8
    ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
    Clearing bus reset
    Clearing 'in-reset' flag
    sd0: timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
    SEQADDR == 0x11