Subject: Re: AHC driver + 1.2.1 + UW drive
To: None <laine@MorningStar.Com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/1997 17:11:50
In some mail I received from Laine Stump, sie wrote

> (Sorry for the lack of exact error messages in the following. It's about
> a machine that's at the office, and is currently powered off, while I'm
> at home.)
[...]
> We just took delivery of 4 new Intel Providence motherboards with
> builtin 7880 SCSI controllers, and 6 Seagate 34501W "Cheetah" disks (the
> new 10,000rpm ultra wides). Once we got everything setup and recognizing
> the SCSI disks (3 of them connected to one machine; they're to be
> striped), I successfully put disklabels on them, then tried to run
> newfs. The first time I run it after boot, it will get a short way
> through the operation then stall; after a long pause it prints out an
> error (usually a write error). After that, all attempts to do newfs
> immediately fail with an error. When I look in /var/log/messages, it
> shows timeouts and bus resets by the SCSI controller.

Laine, if it is any comfort, there are similar problems with the 2940UW on
FreeBSD (same person is responsible for the code).

I'm forming the opinion that the 2940UW is just another crap piece of PC
hardware.

One of the FreeBSD people who had problems went to a 3940UW and his problems
were solved.

I have problems with my 2940UW using Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/Solaris-x86.

Darren