Subject: Anyone tried StarOffice for Linux on NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/1997 01:03:33
Hi,

I wanted to ask, if anybody tried the latest version of
StarOffice for Linux under NetBSD? The prior releases
needed Motif libs, but the latest beta-release is
statically linked with motif, so it should work allright.
I currently don't have the time to try it out, but I
thought I might just people know, that it's there and give
them the opportunity to try it out.

For those of you, who don't know what StarOffice is, you
can have a look at www.stardivision.com. The pages are mainly
written in Englisch, just the frames are in German, but you
don't need to access the frames. Klick on
StarOffice 3.1 Beta 4 for Linux
and then make sure you read the README carefully. It says
that the paket it available at a German site, but if I
remember correctly, it should be available on the canonical
linux-sw-archive sunsite.unc.edu and its mirrors. I don't
know the exact location, though.

In short, this is a full featured office with
wordprocessor, spreadsheet and presentation program. A
database application is missing so far. It's binary only,
as it's a commercial product, but you are free to use it
for non-commercial purposes. This is a beta-version which
will expire in five month, but stardivision will hopefully
have a fully working version available by then, because
Caldera is selling a commercial version by the end of May.
You should have a fast machine and quite some ram available,
otherwise the programms will be quite slow :-(

Just thought to let you know,

  Guenther

P.S.: Yes, I know, it would be great to have a
NetBSD-native version available, but this is better than
nothing.
P.P.S.: No, I am not in any way connected to StarDivision!