Subject: Re: Hardware Specifics (was "Danger")
To: Aron Roberts <aroberts@wolfenet.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/1997 08:29:10
>I've settled on keeping the Adaptec 2940UW and pitching the 3COM 3c905
>in favor of a 100baseT card based on the DEC chipset.
[...]
>As far as the comments regarding the driver stability of both the
>Adaptec and DEC stuff.. I was unclear on wether they all refered to
>1.2.1 or if the comments were about -current.

I'm running stock 1.2 on my machine, with a bunch of striped SCSI
drives on a 2940UW.  Stock except for a few patches, one of which
being some minor fixes for the 2940 driver.  It's solid.  I'm pretty
confident you would have no problems.  From what I understand, all of
the patches I'm running are included in 1.2.1 (the 2940 patch, the
tsleep/swap patch), except for the BUFCACHE percentage patch (up the
percentage of BUFCACHE just by putting an options line in the kernel
config).

>Since this is a "production" environment I'm not too keen on running
>-current. If it is a case of the drivers being considerably more stable
>in -current than they are in 1.2.1 would it be concievable for me to
>patch 1.2.1 or do I run into just as many (if not more) instability
>issues?

In general, current is not recommended for production and/or mission-
critical use.

>p.s. forgive the mail from the NT box... I have to admin these too :)

No apology needed.  I like NT.  I don't happen to find the two
mutually exclusive.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net