Subject: Hardware Specifics (was "Danger")
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aron Roberts <aroberts@wolfenet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1997 23:43:25
I've settled on keeping the Adaptec 2940UW and pitching the 3COM 3c905
in favor of a 100baseT card based on the DEC chipset.

I have looked at the DPT boards as well... and the thought of running a
NetBSD box with 'em makes me drool...(not really) maybe one day we'll
see a driver... alas I don't currently have the skill set to help with
that.

As far as the comments regarding the driver stability of both the
Adaptec and DEC stuff.. I was unclear on wether they all refered to
1.2.1 or if the comments were about -current.

Since this is a "production" environment I'm not too keen on running
-current. If it is a case of the drivers being considerably more stable
in -current than they are in 1.2.1 would it be concievable for me to
patch 1.2.1 or do I run into just as many (if not more) instability
issues?

I thought some folks would like to know:

This weekend will see 3 new machines running NetBSD (one of which being
an old alpha I have never done more than look at...wish me luck) and one
machine undergoing a conversion from FreeBSD (no offense to FreeBSD
folks, I think you've got a great OS but I've been with NetBSD since 0.9
and it just feels "right" to me). That's a total of 4.. 3 of which will
fill critcal workhorse roles in the company. 1 of which goes to a friend
in need.

It will also see the decommisioning of 2 NT Server machines (the crowd
cheers) due directly to thier resposibilities being taken over by
NetBSD.

and no the licenses are not being "moved" These will be two licenses
*not being used* because NetBSD is better for the job.

reflecting a bit.. netbsd gave me my first unix box to hack on.. and
indirectly it gave me a marketable skill. (though I suppose i could wax
really long and start in on my Sinclair 1000... but I'll spare you)

so thanks to everyone involved in the NetBSD project in any way.. thanks
for a great OS and above all thanks for not making it "easy to use" else
I wouldn't have learned a gawdamned thing :)

aron roberts
atr@pobox.com

p.s. forgive the mail from the NT box... I have to admin these too :)