Subject: Re: enabling backing store in XFree?
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1997 20:54:53
>From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
>
>I'm having problems with Applixware running very slow.  These problems
>began when I upgraded to XFree 3.2 which uses much less RAM than the
>previous 3.1.2 version.  I thought maybe I should enable backing store
>for the Applix windows.  How do I do this?  If I use xwininfo on Applix
>windows, I get
>
>  Backing Store State: NotUseful
>
>What does this mean?  I have been reading the HTML documents and man pages,
>but all I could find was an option to _disable_ backing store which is the
>opposite of what I want. ;-)
>
>I'm not sure if backing store will help, but Applix _did_ run remarkably
>faster under 3.1.2...

You need to set the "BackingStore" resource on the Applix widgets to
"Always".  You can do this by appending "*BackingStore: Always" to the
Class name(s) of the Applix widgets -- see Applixware's app-default
file(s) [if any].  You can also just set "*BackingStore: Always" (no
class name), but this might slow other applications down (ie: ones
for which it really isn't useful).  It is also possible that Applix
hard-coded the value of "BackingStore", in which case you are out of
luck unless Applix makes and provides you with new binaries.  Since
setting "NotUseful" on large, mostly static windows would seem not
very wise, hopefully they did not.  Good luck.

Max

P.S.  "BackingStore" may accept other values, "Always" was the only other
option I found in a quick `grep` thru some app-defaults.