Subject: enabling backing store in XFree?
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1997 20:24:50
(No, this doesn't belong in here, but this is a fast channel of getting
information, so please excuse the noise..)

I'm having problems with Applixware running very slow.  These problems
began when I upgraded to XFree 3.2 which uses much less RAM than the
previous 3.1.2 version.  I thought maybe I should enable backing store
for the Applix windows.  How do I do this?  If I use xwininfo on Applix
windows, I get

  Backing Store State: NotUseful

What does this mean?  I have been reading the HTML documents and man pages,
but all I could find was an option to _disable_ backing store which is the
opposite of what I want. ;-)

I'm not sure if backing store will help, but Applix _did_ run remarkably
faster under 3.1.2...

Thanks,

  -jm

--