Subject: Re: Danger: Hardware Recommendation Request
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1997 10:46:53
Bill Studenmund drunkenly mumbled...

> There isn't a driver at present, though they (dpt) have a BSDI (?) driver
> kit on their web site.

from what i hear, there is someone working on the port of the BSDI driver,
but he, like us, has a lack of time.

> I must second your recomendation of them. I've never used one of their
> controllers, but I have one in the 486 I use. Unfortunately during setup,
> it seems to have lost its little mind (I think one of the driver chips got
> fried).

we have one in a BSDI box that has gone through several SCSI hosts.  the
PM2144UW (ultrawide SmartCache) that is in the machine now is the fastest
card i have ever seen AND!!! that was before we added cache RAM.  after
we added cache RAM it just got better.  amazingly fast cards, rock solid as
well, never had any trouble with the thing.

to top it all off, if you ever read any articles in ANY computer magazine
that has reviewed them and they can say nothing but good things about the
cards' performance.  especially after RAM is added.

> Their tech help was VERY HELPFUL. They put a lot of effort into someone
> who had an old controller. I was VERY pleased.

i haven't had to do this yet (the card hasn't died yet) but this is GREAT news.
i now know that i won't need to hesitate when something happens to the card.

cheers,

-brian

--
I'm asking because I've got two VS3100's in need of a real and pleasant to
use operating system.  (VMS is unpleasant and Ultrix is not a real OS).

		-Brian D Chase (asking about NetBSD support of the VS3100)