Subject: Re: 6x86-166+ with NetBSD
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1997 11:18:58
On Apr 16, William O Ferry wrote
>     I'm currently running NetBSD on an ASUS SP3G (486DX4/100)
> motherboard.  I'm really considering upgrading to a Pentium-class mobo.
> I'm looking at getting the ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard, with the SC-200 NCR
> card and either an intel P133 or a Cyrix 6x86-166+.  Obviously I'd
> rather get the 6x86, since it should be faster, and is even a bit
> cheaper than the 133 where I'm looking.  But I seem to have seen nothing
> but bad remarks about the 6x86's on the NetBSD groups.  Has anybody had
> success with these chips?  Is it worth it, or would I be better off
> getting the P133?  Either one runs the bus at the same speed, so I'd
> imagine the rest of the machine would perform the same.
>
>     I'd appreciate any comments / suggestions people have.  Since this
> doesn't have much to do with NetBSD exactly, it'd probably be better if
> people emailed responses directly to me, and I can post a summary if
> anybody else is interested.

I'm running it on an Asus motherboard, without any troubles.
It will be faster than a P133 (although I'm not sure it will be as fast as
a P166) for things which don't require floating-point computations (it
is a nice processor for a network server, or to run gcc).
However, the math copro is as slow as a P100.

You can go with it if you don't need higth floating-point performances.

--
Manuel Bouyer, MASI, Universite Paris VI.
email: bouyer@masi.ibp.fr