Subject: Re: 6x86-166+ with NetBSD
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1997 06:55:30
On Wed, Apr 16, 1997 at 10:11:39PM -0400, William O Ferry wrote:
>     I'm currently running NetBSD on an ASUS SP3G (486DX4/100)
> motherboard.  I'm really considering upgrading to a Pentium-class mobo.
> I'm looking at getting the ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard, with the SC-200 NCR
> card and either an intel P133 or a Cyrix 6x86-166+.  Obviously I'd
> rather get the 6x86, since it should be faster, and is even a bit
> cheaper than the 133 where I'm looking.  But I seem to have seen nothing
> but bad remarks about the 6x86's on the NetBSD groups.  Has anybody had
> success with these chips?

I have been using one for 4 months without problems.  In some operations,
Cyrix is about as fast as a P166, but in some operations my machine doesn't
perform all that well (it may be the cheap no-name motherboard).  The CPU
itself hasn't caused me any trouble.  (Well, NetBSD 1.2 doesn't recognize
it properly - it claims the CPU is a 486 - could this lead to loss of
performance?  If so, how do I patch the kernel to know about the 6x86?)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---