Subject: Re: stupid fscking hardware!!!!!!
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 22:19:06
William O Ferry drunkenly mumbled...

>     A word of warning:  If you're using a generic netbsd kernel *DO NOT*
> set your card to the above values.  One of the other drivers in the
> NetBSD kernel (mcd, I believe?) will clobber the card, making even the
> SMC software think that the card is fried.  It doesn't actually do any
> damage, and there are utilities to fix it if you've already found this
> out.  But a SMC card at the correct address for ed2 (base address 0x300,
> really) will not survive a boot on any kernel with support for the other
> driver.

so that explains why my SMC card descided to be on IRQ 3, well that at least
explains things.

>     BTW, why doesn't it work at the ed0 settings?  I ran my SMC 8013WC
> there for over a year, with no problems.  And that was with no available
> IRQ's (every one from 1 through 15 was in use by something), I've never
> had any problems with the upper IRQs being unavailable on my system.

because with my lack of PC knowledge was under the impression that since IRQ 2
was the cascade IRQ that it was unavailable for use.  i was wrong.

set the SMC card to IRQ 2 and things worked great.

everything worked out the way it should, now i have to start over because i
believe i messed up slightly, but now that everything works the way it should
it should be a matter of just doing it to get things working.

the amazing part is that setting the SMC to IRQ 2 didn't break braindead Linux.
i thought i would be without an ethernet card for linux, thank the gods for
small favors. :)

-brian

--
The fundamental difference between Unix and the Macintosh operating system is
that Unix was designed to please programmers, whereas the Mac was designed to

=== End Transmission ===