Subject: Re: stupid fscking hardware!!!!!!
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 20:40:32
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-i386: 16-Apr-97 Re: stupid
fscking hardware.. by David Brownlee@anim.drea
> ed2     at isa? port 0x300 iomem 0xcc000 irq 10

    A word of warning:  If you're using a generic netbsd kernel *DO NOT*
set your card to the above values.  One of the other drivers in the
NetBSD kernel (mcd, I believe?) will clobber the card, making even the
SMC software think that the card is fried.  It doesn't actually do any
damage, and there are utilities to fix it if you've already found this
out.  But a SMC card at the correct address for ed2 (base address 0x300,
really) will not survive a boot on any kernel with support for the other
driver.

    BTW, why doesn't it work at the ed0 settings?  I ran my SMC 8013WC
there for over a year, with no problems.  And that was with no available
IRQ's (every one from 1 through 15 was in use by something), I've never
had any problems with the upper IRQs being unavailable on my system.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/