Subject: stupid fscking hardware!!!!!!
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 20:38:27
ok, i've gotten my disk labeled, filesystems are on it as well as a kernel.
i can boot right off the HDD now. (WOO HOO!!!)

i seem to be having trouble with my SMC Elite16 Ultra, the install manual says
i need to have it on IRQ 2 to be able to use it with the pre-fab kernel, is this
really right??  IRQ 2 is the cascade IRQ, which breaks everything above IRQ 8,
which is bad, that's where the adaptec is located. (don't ask)  any pointers on
gettint the pre-fab to see the SMC at an alternate place? (IRQ 10 - IO 0x280
would be real nice, that's where it is now)  to top it off, i halted NetBSD so
i could bring Linux back up so i could talk to the world, the SMC descided that
during all that is was going to change to IRQ 3!!!!  it took me a while to
figure out why my second serial port (the one with the 16550AFN) wouldn't work.
pppd died.  stupid hardware, why do i keep PCs in the house anyway, it's bad
luck.  (i seen to have much better luck with SUN hardware)

for all of those interested, the Hayes ESP, IRQ problem is a Linux problem.
the card is set to IRQ 5, NetBSD sees it as IRQ 5, linux refuses to see it as
anything but IRQ 4, stupid fscking Linux.

it's been one of those days.  *sigh*

-brian

--
The fundamental difference between Unix and the Macintosh operating system is
that Unix was designed to please programmers, whereas the Mac was designed to

=== End Transmission ===