Subject: Re: Danger: Hardware Recommendation Request
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 10:32:44
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > * 3COM 3c905
>
> My recommendation: replace with one of the DEC tulip based cards. They
> are about $100. I don't know if they are actually the best hardware
> out there, but Matt Thomas' drivers make them act damn nicely.

The 3c905 should work fairly well in 1.2.1. However, there are a
couple of caveats. Sending lots of data to a slow machine (e.g.,
in 100 Mbps mode on a 486) will kill your tranfers rates for some
reason. I got under 1 Mbps in my tests, but I didn't track it down.

Also, the 3c905 does not yet use DMA mode, which makes it a bit
slower and makes it use more CPU than it would otherwise.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates