Subject: Re: Danger: Hardware Recommendation Request
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 20:29:51
On Wed, Apr 16, 1997 at 10:15:38AM -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
> >    I've never seen a Quantum Atlas fail (out of a couple of dozen), but on
> > the other hand, nearly every Quantum Grand Prix I've seen has failed within
> > six months.
>
> Cooling is often the key. I've had only one Atlas fail, and I expect
> that was because the person who assembled the case they were in
> hooked up the 12V fans to the 5V power supply.

Every single one of my Quantum Empire 1080S drives has died within 12 months
from purchase.  These drives don't run that hot, so I don't think it was
a problem with heat.  I have replaced one drive twice under warranty... one
was replaced with an Atlas which I hope will last longer.

I have several Seagate 1 GB drives and they all seem to run fine.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---