Subject: Re: Danger: Hardware Recommendation Request
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 08:33:46
>> 9GB Micropolis 1991AV (I swear "micropolis" must be an ancient word
>> 			meaning "Bad Drive")

   I've had one out of 5 of the above fail.

>this i would believe, i've seen too many of these things die is a very short
>time. of course i've seen my fair share of seagate drives die.  Quantum's
>are the only ones that have stood by me (my 386 at home has a 270M and 540M
>Quantum SCSI drives, they are both about 6 years old, neither even have bad
>blocks and have been humming along 24/7 for the last 6 years.

   I've never seen a Quantum Atlas fail (out of a couple of dozen), but on
the other hand, nearly every Quantum Grand Prix I've seen has failed within
six months. So I think it's really a mixed bag and has more to do with the
drive model than it does with the manufacturer.

-DG

David Greenman