Subject: Re: Danger: Hardware Recommendation Request
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 09:35:12
> On Wed, Apr 16, 1997 at 09:04:17AM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> > Frankly, AFAIK, I haven't seen any systems compatible with every
> > SCSI device :-).
>
> The Amiga 3000 with a later scsi.device version was pretty good.  I had
> to throw away many SCSI devices because they just didn't work with other
> systems. :-/
>
> About the NCR - does the firmware come from the chip manufacturer (ie.
> is it possible to edit it)?

Ahhh...  The chip manufacturer does distribute a reference/example
copy of firmware, and the firmware is actually microcoded and supplied
from the OS.  The NCR driver code/microcode source is normally
distributed along with the driver.  You can compile it yourself.
In that regard, it is similar to the Adaptec 78XX drivers.

I would suspect that the microcode source is in the NetBSD source
tree in ncr.c (it is embedded into a C struct/array.)

John