Subject: Re: PCNet-SCSI AMD chip kernel?
To: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1997 21:03:55
	kim@pvv.ntnu.no writes:

> My PC has the combined network and scsi chip, PCNet-SCSI, from Advanced
> Micro Devices: AM79C974KC. It is in my Compaq Deskpro XL 566 at work.

> Unfortunately, the SCSI part of this chip is not supported for NetBSD,
> apparently.

  We can get a data sheet of Am79C974 from:

	http://www.amd.com/products/npd/techdocs/techdocs.html

This chip seems a combination of Am79C970(Ether) and Am53C974(SCSI),
so you may use a driver of Am53C974.  There is an Am53C974 driver in
FreeBSD (amd: Tekram's DC390 driver).  I port it to NetBSD(1.2B) and
it works in my PC. This porting was easy. We can also get a tecnical
manual of Am53C974 here.

  The driver is written in dirty fashion: for example, it reads/writes
PCI configuration registers directly. Of cource, it should use
pci_conf_{read,write}. Many messy fashion make me give it up to
improve the driver; it is a waste of time, I think.

  Because it works in old (maybe Dec. 1996) current kernel, it may or
may not work in current kernel. It also may not work except for DC390.
At least, they has different PCI product code.  Does anyone needs this
driver?

  IMHO, because Am53C974 has a same core logic that 53C9x has, the
most elegant solution is that it is integrated to dev/ic/ncr53c9x.c
(asc,esp?), but I has no time to do it.

> Are there someone who has made a driver for SCSI on this chip,
> and is able to kindly supply me a kernel/bootfloppy, so that I
> can install NetBSD?

  I'm sorry I has no time to make a working kernel/bootfloppy.

> (PS: I do not subscribe to this mailinglist.)

  Ok, I also send it you directly.
--
furuta@sra.co.jp (Atsushi Furuta)
   Advanced Technology Group.  Software Research Associates, Inc.