Subject: Re: Kernel development for WD-SCSI?
To: <danielh@uol.com.br>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1997 12:47:29
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:37:41 -0300 (EST)
 " " <danielh@uol.com.br> wrote:

 > 	I have been gifted with a Western Digital SCSI card, the interface is a
 > PCI 32-bit internal.
 > 	The interesting fact is that when I tried to install it with Netbsd it
 > didn't was able to recognize the card so i couldn't install it in .

...I believe this SCSI card is fairly different from all of the other
Western Digital SCSI cards... I have seen them at computer supply places
here in the Bay Area, but haven't decided to pick one up yet...

 > 	When you people are going to do a PCI version of the kernel?

...well, I'll assume you mean a driver for this PCI card... the kernel
has supported PCI for quite some time.  The only answer I can give you
is "when someone writes and submits a driver for it."  :-)

 > 	If it won't be able to be done soon, how can it be done?

Well, it takes a volunteer to do it, first.  The first step in something
like this is to find as much documentation on the card as possible.
The second step is to examine other drivers in the tree and learn
about how the related code works (i.e. other SCSI drivers, the MI
SCSI subsystem, the PCI and bus.h code, etc.)  Asking specific, educated
questions is good... I think you'll find most developers are happy
to answer questions that they can answer quickly...

Ciao.