Subject: Re: Znyx multi channel ethernet cards
To: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1997 12:17:52

There is only ethernet address *ROM* for all the interfaces.

>>>The quad-port ZX346 I use doesn't seem to have this problem:
>>
>>Yes, they do: the driver automatically assignes consecutive addresses to
>>each interface, but there is only one in ROM.
>
>Doh.  You are, of course, correct.  Sorry for the confusion.
>Does Znyx actually have different addresses reserved for each
>interface, so that only the first address is *stored*, or is it
>possible to have colliding Ethernet addresses between multiple
>cards?  Matt Thomas suggested the latter, but I just wanted to
>be sure...

Only the first address is stored and all the other are derived
from it.  However, all N addresses are assigned to the board.
So there are no duplicate addresses.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message